A Christmas Verse
Christmas is upon us and a New Year once again.
Where has all the time gone from the now that's turned to then?
While some folks hand out presents, part and parcel of the season,
I've no gift to offer, save for this poor rhyme, with reason.
My yearning for the world, yet most especially those I know
And dare to call true friends, is something harder to bestow...
Or at least a bit more abstract than a package could contain—
Though only grinches would upon receiving those complain.
I want to voice my deepest thanks for friendship's warmth and cheer
That fill the heart with brimming blessings all throughout the year
And ask that Santa give us peace and love in fullest measure,
With happiness thrown in that lasts as memories to treasure.
So, let me say, in my own way, with simple quatrains plain
And unadorned by ribbons, what no poem can explain,
Just Merry Christmas, one and all, and by the stars that shine,
I wish you Happy New Year in these days of Auld Lang Syne!
Harley White's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Christmas Verse by Harley White )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1886 - 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- 'My Christmas Prayer' (For all who have .., Linda Winchell
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Not A Fairytale, Apolynn Lagaras
- let's worship nothing, forever, Mandolyn ...
- Keep Patience and Stand, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Nothing Seems Right, Andrew Butler
- Seventeen Thoughts, A Lifetime, Kewayne Wadley
- Strangers Welcome, Kewayne Wadley
- What is truth?, Edward Clapham
- A Most Happy Holiday, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Christmas - Christmas, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Cage, Sarvesh wahie