A Contented Life
Sometimes I often wonder
what I would have been
if fate hadn't steered me
on the course I am on now.
Rich I will never be,
nor do I ever want to be.
Contentment is my goal
and with that I have succeeded.
Tragedies and hardships
may come my way
and I will deal with them
whatever the day.
After fifty years of writing
I have nothing to prove to anyone,
only to myself
that I can only get better.
I have so much in my life
I can be eternally thankful for,
my health, my family,
my friends and my life.
Some people worship money,
it fills their every thought.
If I have or don't have,
it doesn't bother me.
I have something more
than money can ever buy,
a contented life
that isn't built on a lie.
24 March 2013
David Harris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Contented Life by David Harris )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Fascinating Images, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Dwelling In Perfection, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Line to You, Olufayo Ezekiel
- Remedy to Find, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Inner Workings, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Colours, Daniel Rimero
- India's Rhythms, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- My Love! Let's run away from light., SAK Reddy
- Journey Of Ancient Values, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Bless You On This Day, Michael P. McParland