A Conversation Over The Garden Fence
Two old men talked about the past
As they leaned upon the slatted wooden fence
That creaked under the weight of their forearms.
One side was painted white
The other painted black
And there they met to reminisce
On those days now long gone by.
There gardens weren't alike at all
For one was tended mowed and pruned
Where flowers grew and colours bloomed
With everything in place.
While the other was wild and overgrown
With weeds that clung and squeezed the life
From all that tried to grow amidst
That tangled mass of green.
One man was smart and wore a tie
The other wore an open shirt,
With many missing buttons
And its sleeves were holed and torn.
I thought they were like chalk and cheese
But as I passed I heard them say,
They both felt sorry for the young
And glad that they were old.
ANDREW BLAKEMORE's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Conversation Over The Garden Fence by ANDREW BLAKEMORE )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Kriztan Rei Palces
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Over-Ripe Sushi, Yosa Buson
- Christmas Spirit, Paul Moosberg
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Timeless Eternity, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I'm Still The Same, Gillu Rahul
- They are all equal, gajanan mishra
- On the Day of an Election, Ponniah Ganeshan
- Smiles All The Way (Repeat), DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- I Wander Lost, Shalom Freedman
- उसका ही अपमान करते हो uska hi apmaan, hasmukh amathalal
- In restless sea, gajanan mishra
- Christmas Is Here Tonight, Hebert Logerie
- खता करके, तुम्हारे द्वार पर, हर बार जाता.., Abhishek Omprakash Mishra