A Declaration of Character
they say hardships and tears and sweat built character
(it's mentioned at every closed opportunity and every stunning defeat)
you can build character by falling and climbing,
running and returning,
failing and never succeeding.
I am officially over building character
I've got enough character to start my own third world country
I've built sky-scrapers of character
I've got my own bank and I invest character in the stock market
I'm going to start loaning it out to the character-deprived!
I'll learn how to knit and make character scarves to donate to
don't you understand?
I've got character seeping out my ears,
hiding under my bed.
and if I keep on building all this darn character,
soon I'll have no place to put it:
I'll have to start sending it to Mars via space rocket, or
making it into earth-friendly shoes
good grief world, do you get what I'm trying to tell you?
I'm THROUGH building character!
I'm THROUGH struggling and wishing and
wiping my red cheeks.
my character-run toyota hybrid will have to wait-
and character-land will have to disintegrate
I'm THROUGH building character.
gina prettybrowneyes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Declaration of Character by gina prettybrowneyes )
- Kopje onder, Madrason writer
- five past three, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Trapdoor, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Gans Veer, Madrason writer
- Be What You Are, Lilly Emery
- The abrupt end., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Native land., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Believe in Yourself Worth, Lilly Emery
- Odd One Out, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Do without It, Anirudh Rawat
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns