A Description Of The Properties
North winds send hail, south winds bring rain,
East winds we bewail, west winds blow amain;
Northeast is too cold, southeast not too warm,
Northwest is too bold, southwest doth no harm.
The north is a noyer to grass of all suits, [annoyer]
The east a destroyer to herb and all fruits;
The south with his showers refresheth the corn,
The west to all flowers may not be forborne.
The west, as a father, all goodness doth bring;
The east, a forbearer no manner of thing;
The south, as unkind, draweth sickness too near;
The north, as a friend, maketh all again clear.
With temperate wind we be blessed of God;
With tempest, we find, we are beat with His rod;
All power we know to remain in His hand
However wind blow, by sea or by land.
Though winds do rage as winds were wood, [mad]
And cause great tides to raise spring flood,
And lofty ships leave anchor in mud,
Bereafing many of life and of blood, [tearing away]
Yet true it is, as cow chews cud
And trees at spring do yield forth bud,
Except wind stands as never it stood, [blows from a direction]
It is an ill wind turns none to good.
Thomas Tusser's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Description Of The Properties by Thomas Tusser )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Conscientious Objector, Edna St. Vincent Millay
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- Reality to be face, Habib Imtiaz kinkhabwala Kin ..
- Lovers of the sun, Tony md chamasense
- A Lucky Penny, Hebert Logerie
- A Letter for a Broken Hearted, Reagan A. Latumbo
- Allure And Mystique, Margaret Alice Second
- Beware, Tony md chamasense
- Longing., Jak Black
- Summer Nights, Deborah Ager
- The Old House, Paul Gerard Reed
- The role of Kama, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.