A Devoted Man
In Grantville off the highway by the sea
The old man walks the mudflats every day
With hunched shoulders he slowly shuffles on
And he looks distinguished in his own quiet way.
With eyes cast down as if searching for something
I once asked local man i felt might know
Whatever is the old man searching for?
'His wife's lost wedding ring lost years ago'.
For two hours each day he search the man went on
For ring that has been lost ten years or more
For past ten years for two hours every day
He must have walked ten thousand miles of shore.
He made a promise to his dying wife
That before he'd die her lost ring he would find
For years he's searched these mudflats up and down
And thoughts of lost ring seldom leave his mind.
He must be at least eighty years i said
Quite close the man replied he's eighty two
For years he has been searching for her ring
And to his promise to her he keeps true.
I know at least of one devoted man
He's eighty two and his hair is silvery gray
And he keeps a promise to his long dead wife
By searching for her lost ring every day.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Devoted Man by Francis Duggan )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Father's Admonition, Tony Adah
- Those who lose, Luv Artem
- The Making of Me: Tune Me Up, Niealie Petit
- Show Your Love, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Time Is Of Love, Naveed Akram
- The Wings Of Time, Noah Body
- Passing By The Pond, Tony Adah
- Ode to Now, David Whalen
- The Girl and her Dragon, Kevin Maroney
- What is Life, Andrea Cortesi