Alice Duer Miller
HE: I am in trouble, give me your advice.
SHE: No, for I'm sure 'twould not be carried out.
HE: It shall, I swear it shall, at any price.
SHE:If that's agreed, what is this all about?
HE:How can I win a woman who is fair
HE:But she's proud as well.
HE:But she does not seem to care,
Nor notice when I'm near.
SHE:How can you tell
Whether she does or not, until you've tried
Not being near? Avoid her, let her see
The change, and should chance place you at her side,
Be colder, prouder, civiler than she.
HE: But if she cares...
SHE: Then it will break her heart,
Which will be easier won.
HE: 'Tis too severe
On me: I could not.
SHE:Then you'd better part.
HE:Is this your counsel? Well, good-by, my dear.
SHE:Stay, there's one thing to do before you go.
SHE:lf you really love her, tell her so.
Perhaps you'll find her kinder than you know.
Alice Duer Miller's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Dialouge by Alice Duer Miller )
- Teaching - A Satisfying Experience, Joseph T. Renaldi
- The Story of An Autumn Leaf, Rose Lu ( Bing Hua )
- Love Unfetterred, Zulfiqar Ali Bhatti
- Time-wheel, gajanan mishra
- IMPROBABLE ME, Terry O'Leary
- May I help you, gajanan mishra
- UNPROVEN FALSEHOOD, johnny case
- Not good, gajanan mishra
- Trials And Tribulations, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Friends, you are here, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)