A different breed of men
Meet me in St. Louie, meet me in St. Paul,
Meet me in Seattle or don't meet me at all.
See me in New York, see me in L. A.,
See me in Salt Lake City, or San Francisco Bay.
Watch for me in Houston, watch for me in Big D,
Or check out Arizona, perhaps that's where I'll be.
The itch to roam is strong, I cannot sit too long,
The winds are calling me, and I must heed its song.
There's men that can't stay still, they must be on the road,
There's men that can't be rooted, they do not fit the mode.
You'll find them way out west, or on the eastern coast,
Wherever you may find them, they cannot be the host.
They can't stand being tied down, to any certain thing,
They can't stand being stagnant, they must be on the wing.
Time for them means nothing, time for them is now,
You see them hiking mountains, not behind a plow.
They've a restless urge to wander, down many paths of life,
They cannot comprehend to loaf, most don't have a wife.
They're the hermits and the misfits, just ordinary men,
But they don't break at all, and neither do they bend.
david lessard's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A different breed of men by david lessard )
- The Phonecall Generation, Aidan Cost
- Sleepless Nights, Mimi Ahmed
- Truth is opening, gajanan mishra
- I Am Afraid, Amitava Sur
- How then?, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- Cholesterol, Dr PJ Raj Kamal
- A Confession, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- My Dog Lays at My Feet, David McLansky
- Asthi-Kalasha, Bijay Kant Dubey
- And We Came to Pass, Abdulrasaq Akingbo Okanlambe
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)