Richard Netherland Cook
A Fish Story
I used to live in a pet store,
With a thousand other fish,
One day some people bought me,
And I finally got my wish.
The pet store tank was really crowded,
A fish could hardly swim at all,
And all the fish were different,
Some were big and some were small.
I hope that I am going,
To a really nice new home,
One that's big and roomy,
With lots of space to roam.
I think I'm going to like it here,
The folks are really fine,
This tank has lots of room,
And the fish just number nine.
The filter is so nice and clean,
The water is crystal clear,
And you can see out through the glass,
I'm so glad to just be here.
There are lots of colored stones,
And plants just everywhere,
An old sunken ship is at the corner,
And a castle over there.
I guess I'd better swin around,
And try to find some friends,
I hope they like me here,
I'd better watch my fins.
Over by the ship wreck,
And hiding in the dark,
Just waiting for a new fish,
I saw a Red Tailed Shark.
I think I'll swim around,
And checkout down below,
That's where I think I saw,
A really pretty Rainbow.
Something went by really fast,
And made the water swish,
He was really colorful too,
I know it was that Clown Fish.
Two Tiger Barbs are over there,
Giving me the eye,
And I just saw two Black Neons,
Slowly swimming by.
That Red Swordtail Fish,
Greeted me today,
But he just said 'Hello',
Then went on his way.
Now I really am excited,
My prayer has come true,
Here comes a Sailfin Molly,
And I'm a Molly too.
Richard Netherland Cook's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Fish Story by Richard Netherland Cook )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
(12 May 1828 – 9 April 1882)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
(3rd April 19sixty)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- An Indian English Ph.D. Thesis On Modern.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- the half truth, Dr Puneet Aggarwal
- Argumentative ones, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Love children, gajanan mishra
- 25 December 2014, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Wipe out terrorism, gajanan mishra
- The hilarious children., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Let us discuss poems, gajanan mishra
- Eyes Tell a Story, Rohit Sapra
- Jadavpur And The Adda of Love, Bijay Kant Dubey