A fool’s discourse
Am I the fool for not killing this fly
That persistently harasses me now?
Is my respect for life absurd, awry?
Should my philosophy be disavowed?
Isn’t all life a very sacred thing?
You say, yes, but a fly! A billion die
Each day! Ah! But most die on the wing.
My belief is ‘live and let live’, and why?
Nothing is insignificant to me.
Suppose for a moment you are that fly
And programmed to pester me endlessly?
Must I kill you in a blink of an eye?
Until Man respects life of every kind
Our future holds no hope for humankind.
Albert Ahearn's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A fool’s discourse by Albert Ahearn )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Kriztan Rei Palces
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Over-Ripe Sushi, Yosa Buson
- Christmas Spirit, Paul Moosberg
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- On the Day of an Election, Ponniah Ganeshan
- Smiles All The Way (Repeat), DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- I Wander Lost, Shalom Freedman
- उसका ही अपमान करते हो uska hi apmaan, hasmukh amathalal
- In restless sea, gajanan mishra
- Christmas Is Here Tonight, Hebert Logerie
- खता करके, तुम्हारे द्वार पर, हर बार जाता.., Abhishek Omprakash Mishra
- Love Letter, Gillu Rahul
- Crystal Clear, Jason Summers
- SONG OF YULETIDE EVE, Sir Toby Moses