A House Broker with Knack
Sitting on the step
of a corner tea-stall in the morning,
he dunked a butter biscuit
in his cup of tea and ate it.
Every new passerby
caught his rapt attention.
If anybody queried about a plot or flat,
he would order one more cup of tea
and insist the guest to take some biscuits too
and push down his hand into his pocket,
as if taking out money and also buy some cigarettes
at the expense of the visitor.
He would then take him to some worthless plots
and after stemming all his financial status,
would show plots at moderate rates,
quoting costly prices as it was in the heart of the city.
The buyer fell himself into pleasure
And the broker swelled in his treasure.
The buyer pays back his loan till he dies
and the broker says goodbye to his hut
For he had to move to his royal inn.
But time has changed
and status of the people improved now.
People are picked up in A.C. cars from their homes
to see the plots and flats and have a nice lunch
before booking commences with all fanfare.
rajendran muthiah's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A House Broker with Knack by rajendran muthiah )
- A Dream, Steve Kittell
- Waiting on my time, Gypsy Pain
- Mohabbat kaamil ho gayi, Ahatisham Alam
- Single Dad, louis rams
- A Victim of Love?, Mr. Nobody
- The Ugly Brother, Von Kimball Barney
- Khwaabon ki Haqikat, Ahatisham Alam
- THE BIRTH LAND, Abhishek Kumar Singh
- Hame Rone ki aadat pad gai, Ahatisham Alam
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.72, Mr. Nobody
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)