Franklin P. Adams
Horace: Book II, Elegy 8
"Eripitur nobis iam pridem cara puella---"
While she I loved is being torn
From arms that held her many years,
Dost thou regard me, friend, with scorn,
Or seek to check my tears?
Bitter the hatred for a jilt,
And hot the hates of Eros are;
My hatred, slay me as thou wilt,
For thee'd be gentler far.
Can I endure that she recline
Upon another's arm? Shall they
No longer call that lady "mine"
Who "mine" was yesterday?
For Love is fleeting as the hours.
The town of Thebes is draped with moss,
And Ilium's well-known topless towers
Are now a total loss.
Fell Thebes and Troy; and in the grave
Have fallen lords of high degree.
What songs I sang! What gifts I gave!
. . . . She never fell for me.
Franklin P. Adams's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Lament by Franklin P. Adams )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Auld Lang Syne, Robert Burns
- As Soon as Fred Gets Out of Bed, Jack Prelutsky
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
Poem of the Day
- Scanned, Sadiqullah Khan
- Lead me Home, Sadiqullah Khan
- While We Danced, Sadiqullah Khan
- BFF - done - PLaYiNg kEtCh up, sEaN nOrTh
- SNIP THE SCRIPTINGS' MISBECOMING, Dexsta Ray
- Tears And Dews, Tony Adah
- Feel Like, Michael P. McParland
- i still love you!, Alvin Word Speaker Tatlhego
- Gambled wrong, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- Searching For Stonehenge & Paradise (r), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR