Of the cadences high and low,
A beat in rythmic duple, stressed and unstressed.
Counting the syllabi in the line ending, feminine,
In expanse or softness or an upbeat sounding man’s.
The iambic is the beginning and the verse is blank.
The rhymic order is in lower case abba or abab.
The sound musical is in four letters.
A square is a square, place it straight or upright.
In pentameter the expression goes wild,
In hexameter the form gets Greek.
A brawl or a soldier’s story is limerick.
The humbler the form the lesser the meaning.
Who follows the rules, have tides in emotion,
A feeling in intensity or lost in the nature.
Love’s sweet fables or the soliloquy of mother.
The morning breeze or the pause of dew.
A sonnet though has lines fourteen.
A stanza is like a room to converse.
You have brought down from nature just few.
All poetics are thus in beats and off beats.
Is all human experience can be counted so less.
Her tongue and my tongue and all tongues.
Thus knoweth rules so scarce.
Sadiqullah Khan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Limerick by Sadiqullah Khan )
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- remplaçable, Lubinda Lubinda
- Human Nature, Merton Lee
- Those Moments Of Weakness لحظات الضعف هذه, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Money (Cedi), Ghana Green Poetry Foundation
- Off the Rez, Smoky Hoss
- As an emigrant كمهاجر, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Two Little Boats, Ghana Green Poetry Foundation
- The Golden Swan, Ghana Green Poetry Foundation
- As a passer-bye, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Love is Blue, Ghana Green Poetry Foundation