Dear kitten, your name is now Lucy,
You’re named for TV’s comedy queen.
Because you are both so loveable
And the funniest kitten to be seen….
Although my little Lucy
You make me laugh deliriously
Please turn your big ears to my voice
And listen to something to take seriously.
This is your home my little kitty
You now live in a flat in the big city.
Unlike being amongst grass and rocks
When wanting “relief”… just use your box.
I appreciate all your willing attempts
But no matter how you persist.
Even when taking such careful aim
Most of the time, you’ve missed.
There is something I have seen
That's seen on the internet.
That many a capable cat can do
And so can you my clever pet.
How helpful it would be I feel,
As this thought spins in my head.
It would be great for both of us,
If you used the toilet instead.
Any kitten that can climb the drapes
And then stroll along the valance
Can easily perch upon the toilet’s rim
Without fear of losing one’s balance.
That is what I would like you to learn
But there is no need to rush it.
Someday you’ll be a big cat too
And be strong enough to flush it.
Edward Iacona's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A-LITTER-ATION by Edward Iacona )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(22 March 1941 -)
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- It isn't easy!, Lubinda Lubinda
- I Am Third, Perry Biggerstaff
- The Nigeria Political Vampires, Chinweokwu Sunlight M. Ndubu ..
- Alack! Afore! Alack! Afore!, Dexsta Ray
- WAR modern art-form of meaninglessness, George Dee Vuy
- I let myself, Elena Ioannou
- Love Is Hard, Is It Poetry
- Broken Waves, Pintu Mahakul
- PH: Poetry Writing: In Poetry, Brian Johnston
- Moving Out, Adriana Avila