A Long Dry Spell
It's been a long dry Summer and it's been a dry Fall
And the water reservior almost empty and the old bloke recall
That in seventy years of living he has not known it so dry
And he has seen many a Season since he was a boy.
The paddocks have never looked so brown and bare
And the thistledown flying through the warm Autumn air
The farmer already feeding his cattle hay
Not much nourishment for them in the dried out grass he say.
April in Wonthaggi the landscape needs rain
And the frogs they are croaking in the empty drain
And the butterflies flitting in the freshening breeze
Around the brown hedgerows and the sunlit trees.
Across the dry pathway the feisty bullants crawl
Their bite is quite painful for insects so small
To the spiny anteater a delicacy
They dig for ants in the soft earth by bush and tree.
A long warm Summer and the Autumn sunny and dry
And the long range weather forecast is little rain till July
And the ground is bone hard and the farm dam is low
And the creek barely flowing is trickling slow.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Long Dry Spell by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- My Ego & my Wife, Laxman Rao
- Seed of Revenge, Oduro Bright Amoh
- In The Blue, Spiritwind Wood
- Love me when I am afraid to lust, Nancy Handabile
- Chilled Petal, Lorraine Margueritte Gasrel ..
- Yes, We Are Nigeria, Onwuasoanya FCC Jones
- 1960, Gbolagade Taiwo
- Days Gone, Spiritwind Wood
- Spark of a thought, Laxman Rao
- A Judgmental Society, Savino Terrazas
Poem of the Day
- Nettles, Vernon Scannell
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Sonnet 14 - If thou must love me, let it.., Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- HAPPY TEACHER'S DAY, Vivek Tiwari
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Udiah (witness to Yah)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)