A Long Long Way
The magpie fluting softly on the gray gum and currawong sing in the early day
And a long long way from here to Ballydaly and Rathmore even further still away
And a long long way from here to Clara mountain and from the
quiet fields of Claramore
It's depth of Winter now in old Duhallow and cold as it has ever been before.
The silent thrush in the cold of the morning forlorn on branch of leafless windswept tree
And the forecast for the day is wet and windy a low of zero and a high of three
The yellow robin on a sunlit wattle he sings his little ticking melody
And a long long way from Millstreet in Duhallow and even further still from Knocknagree.
A long long way from Kanturk and Dromtarriffe at least twelve thousand miles of land and sea
And a long long way from Meelin and Newmarket and Cullen and Kiskeam and Boherbue
And a long long way from the hill of Gortavehy where bracken grow between the rock and stone
And even a bit further from east Kerry back to the high fields by the Paps of Shrone.
The white backed magpie fluting on the gray gum a bird distinguished by his marvellous song
And the yellow robin singing in the sunshine and the bell like notes of the pied currawong
But a long long way from the fields by the Blackwater in the early morning in their Winter gray
And the countryside of north Cork and Duhallow twelve thousnad miles or maybe more away.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Long Long Way by Francis Duggan )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- Death defies planning., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Vanaprastha, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Broken vision, Lubinda Lubinda
- Two hands to kill, hasmukh amathalal
- With few bucks, hasmukh amathalal
- Nature's love and hate song, Anu Shraddha
- Humanity in person, hasmukh amathalal
- Perfect Union, Anu Shraddha
- Dafur crisis, Lubinda Lubinda
- Boy vs girl, Mark Heathcote