… O'er uplands fresh swift sped my sleigh…
A light snow fell; along the way
Stood firs and birches slender.
The former pondered deep, alone,
The latter laughed, their white boughs shone;-
All brings a picture tender.
So light and free is now the air;
Of all its burdens stripped it bare
The snow with playful sally.
I glimpse behind its veil so thin
A landscape gay, and high within
A snow-peak o'er the valley.
But from the border white and brown,
Where'er I look, there's peeping down
A face… but whose, whose is it?
I bore my gaze 'neath cap and brim
And see the snowflakes swarm and swim;-
Will some one here me visit?
A star fell on my glove… right here…
And here again… its unlike peer;…
They will with riddles pose me.
And smiles that in the air abound
From eyes so good… I look around…
'T is memory besnows me.
The stars spin fine their filigree,
Can hidden spirits in it be?
There haunts me something awing…
You finer birch, you snow unstained,
You purer air,-a soul you've gained?
Who is it here now drawing
His features dear in nature's face,
In all this fascinating grace,
In falling stars that cheat me,-
In these white gleams that finely glance,
In all this silent rhythmic dance?…
Hans Brecke!-comes to meet me.
Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Meeting by Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(23 June 1889 – 5 March 1966)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- The Boy Who Laughed At Santa Claus, Ogden Nash
- A Psalm of Life, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Bright Star, John Keats
Poem of the Day
- Loneliness Is An Option, Michael P. McParland
- Little Sexy Princess, Michael P. McParland
- You Are As It Is, Ifthekar Ifthi
- Yore Inn, Kim Barney
- Life Is Worth Living, Michael P. McParland
- Lay Down With Me, Michael P. McParland
- University, Birat Anupam
- Later Tonight, Michael P. McParland
- It's Your Fault, Hank, Kim Barney
- No Dime, olaitan mahmud