A Military Campaign Against The Nomads... by Li Qi (690-751 CE)
During the day scouts climb the hills to watch for signal fires.
At dusk soldiers lead horses to water at the river frontier.
They struggle to listen through the dark swirling sandstorms for sounds of warning.
The princess plays many sad and bitter songs on the strings of her guitar.
Not a single city wall stands within ten thousand li of our encampments.
Rain and snow pelt us interminably as we march across the great desert.
Wild geese cry mournfully night after night as they fly by.
Wild Tartar children shed tears upon tears... their eyes never dry.
We hear that the Yumen Pass garrison lies still under siege.
To fly to their rescue we send fast-moving charioteers.
Year after year the bones of our dead are buried in this wilderness.
In recompense the Tartars send only grapes as tribute to the Han. The area of the People's Republic of China described here, Xinjiang Province [Chinese Turkestan], remains in turmoil today, the local Muslim population rebellious against Chinese rule.
古從軍行 Gu3 cong2 jun1 xing2
李頎 Li3 Qi2
白日登山望烽火 Bai2 ri4 deng1 shan1 wang4 feng1 huo3
黃昏飲馬傍交河 Huang2 hun1 yin3 ma3 bang1 jiao1 he2
行人刁斗風沙暗 Xing2 ren2 diao1 dou3 feng1 sha1 an4
公主琵琶幽怨多 Gong1 ju3 pi2 pa2 you1 yuan4 do1
野營萬里無城郭 Ye3 ying2 wan4 li3 wu2 cheng2 guo1
雨雪紛紛連大漠 You3 xue3 fen1 fen1 lian2 da4 mo4
胡鴈哀鳴夜夜飛 Hu2 yan4 ai1 ming2 ye4 ye4 fei1
胡兒眼淚雙雙落 Hu2 er2 yan3 lei4 shuang1 shuang1 luo4
聞道玉門蕕被遮 Wen2 dao4 yu4 men2 yu2 bei4 zhe1
應將性命逐輕軍 Ying1 jiang1 shing4 ming4zhu2 qing1 jun1
年年戰骨埋荒外 Nian2 nian2 zhan4 gu3 mai2 huang1wai4
空見葡萄入漢家 Kong1 jian4 pu2 tao2 ru4 Han4 jia1
Eugene Levich's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Military Campaign Against The Nomads... by Li Qi (690-751 CE) by Eugene Levich )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
Emmanuel George Cefai
(12th March 1955)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Russell Edson
(22 March 1941 -)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Taking Off Emily Dickinson's Clothes, Billy Collins
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- how ridiculous is this..., Mandolyn ...
- Be careful child before you fall, Mark Heathcote
- have it your way homeboy, Mandolyn ...
- Advance New Year 2015 Wishes (in a pessi.., Dr John Celes
- B. Day, Nassy Fesharaki
- shape shift this, my fearless phantom, Mandolyn ...
- Dear Dad ..... [a PARODY; HUMOR; SHORT; .., Bri Edwards
- Just Sex..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- It's Not About Science, Just Satellites..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Woman And Time..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR