John Carter Brown
A Parent's Lament
'How many times have I told you,
Behave, and just do as you're told?
Stop messing about in that bedroom,
Come on now your tea will be cold.'
'If you will act the fool at the table
I'll take your meal off you you know;
And make sure your shoes are not dirty
If right through the house you must go.'
'If you're off out to play now just listen:
Don't go where you're told not to go,
And make sure you're back when I've told you,
No later than quarter to four.'
'How many times have I asked you
To pick up your clothes off the floor?
I'm warning you now it's the last time,
For goodness sake PLEASE close that door.'
'If I have to come up there you're for it,
I mean it, I'll say it no more;
Turn down that noise from your radio,
It's too loud... Oh PLEASE keep it low.'
'Look I know that I'm always complaining,
I know that I'm sometimes a bore,
And though you are driving me bonkers,
I really do love you you know.'
Written Aug 1994
John Carter Brown's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Parent's Lament by John Carter Brown )
- Colorless Light, Sandra Feldman
- The ragged men of Indian English poetry, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Thoughts, nicholle gibson
- PH: Sin: The Wages Of Sin, Brian Johnston
- Ideals Envisioned, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- America Radicalized, Is It Poetry
- Just before Midnight, Frank Avon
- I and I, Daniel Erdner
- Love: Don't Bargain, Aftab Alam
- War is lust and Peace is Love,, Aftab Alam
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Where The Mind Is Without Fear, Rabindranath Tagore
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)