Christina Georgina Rossetti
A Pause Of Thought
I looked for that which is not, nor can be,
And hope deferred made my heart sick in truth:
But years must pass before a hope of youth
Is resigned utterly.
I watched and waited with a steadfast will:
And though the object seemed to flee away
That I so longed for, ever day by day
I watched and waited still.
Sometimes I said: This thing shall be no more;
My expectation wearies and shall cease;
I will resign it now and be at peace:
Yet never gave it o'er.
Sometimes I said: It is an empty name
I long for; to a name why should I give
The peace of all the days I have to live?—
Yet gave it all the same.
Alas, thou foolish one! alike unfit
For healthy joy and salutary pain:
Thou knowest the chase useless, and again
Turnest to follow it.
Christina Georgina Rossetti's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Pause Of Thought by Christina Georgina Rossetti )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- JUST GREAT, James Christopher Stevens
- I Love Strippers (rev), Barry Jablonski
- Old Jack The Mole, David Threadgold www.david ..
- OUR REAL REALITY, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- As you sow, so, you reap, Aftab Alam
- 1 Soul + Another =____?, LUVinThe NOW
- Rise of the Fallen, Maverick Jones
- your memory barks in my old blue trunk, Mandolyn Davidson
- i run with an ax, Mandolyn Davidson
- i smile because it makes you look good, Mandolyn Davidson