A Proverb of Evolution
The group was delightful.
We read poetry to each other
(not our own, for God sake) and ate dinner.
Over months, the dinner talks
pushed up against the reading time.
Some of it was highly personal
and the discussions stretched out
and the poetry time suffered
even as the emotion intensified.
Finally, only a few poems were read
as a formality before the invasive species
of personal triumphs and tragedies
took their place on the throne.
Our meetings became therapy sessions.
One time, someone mentioned
a spectacular investment they had made.
Everyone was full of wonder
like amateur astronomers.
The next dinner there was more
investment talk, especially real estate.
Finally, there was not much time
for any serious therapy and our dinners
took on the intensity of bank heist planning.
One evening, someone showed up
with what they said was an Italian proverb:
“All things start out as poetry and end up as real estate.”
We all laughed knowingly,
and someone began to recite a poem
until they were shouted down.
Michael Philips's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Proverb of Evolution by Michael Philips )
- Bitch Please, Akhil Zoomin
- The Lonely One, John F. McCullagh
- Psalm I, Joseph Hall
- Psalm LVII, George Wither
- From 'The Motto', George Wither
- Written by Somebody on the Window of an .., Robert Burns
- Scroggam, my dearie, Robert Burns
- Epitaph for William Nicol, High School, .., Robert Burns
- Lovely Polly Stewart, Robert Burns
- Rantin, Rovin Robin, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Away, Melancholy, Stevie Smith
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)