A Simple Answer
There are so many questions about love,
But it is a simple answer, really.
Some guard against it,
Others fake it completely.
One can give it with no conditions,
Another confuses it with lust.
Two people can be soul mates,
Singles may try to rush.
Sometimes we find it a dirty word,
They take your heart and leave it broken.
You see their actions as absurd,
Because now all you are left with are tokens.
Occasionally we feel it in extraordinary ways,
Your heart has opened up to the light.
Feeling on top of the world,
Because you found what you had been waiting for your whole life.
The definition is an intense affection for another,
Enthusiasm or fondness also tops the list.
It needs to be said that lust is a sexual desire,
The two are close but one is amiss.
Go ahead and guard your heart,
Completely make it concealed.
Put restrictions on it,
Pretend the desire is real.
Imagine how your heart could be,
If you ever would have loved me.
The difference between love and lust,
There is only one that you can truly trust.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Simple Answer by Leigh Ladd )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(23 June 1889 – 5 March 1966)
- Michael P. McParland
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- Only One Forever, Michael P. McParland
- One More Chance, Michael P. McParland
- One In A Million, Michael P. McParland
- Oh Praise And Rejoice, Michael P. McParland
- Oh If......., Michael P. McParland
- True Art, Michael P. McParland
- Yuletide Double Dactyl, Harley White
- Sleigh Ride, Angela Wybrow
- Two Lost Souls, Michael P. McParland
- Understanding Is The Key 2, Michael P. McParland