A Slow Dance
Across a crowded ballroom
she sat at an empty table
her hands resting on her chin
watching the dancers on the floor.
The band was playing a slow tune
as I moved around to her
with my hand outstretched
I asked her for a dance.
Her eyes sparked at my words
and a smile crept across her face.
She held her hand out
and I escorted to the floor.
With wings on our heels
we danced the night away
and the band kept playing
all the slow tunes.
Stars fell across the floor
from the ballroom’s glass ball
as we looked into each other’s eyes
oblivious to one and all.
We danced and we danced
getting closer with each step
as the band kept playing
yet another slow tune.
Years have flown by
and we’re still together.
Each night we slip off our shoes
put a slow tune on
to play again and again.
We once again dance a slow dance
long passed the midnight hour
as we’ll dance for the rest of our lives.
4 February 2014
David Harris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Slow Dance by David Harris )
Did you read them?
- Thoughts of Unknowing Ness (Complex Poet.., Marieta Maglas
- A Carpet On The Ground, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Regrets, hannah wilbert
- Zones Of Pleasure, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Real friend, gajanan mishra
- Looking out his window, hannah wilbert
- Is Suicide The Answer?, louis rams
- Special Meanings Spoken, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Best Thing, Gerry Legister
- Burn, Your Eyes, Josh Terpening
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)