A Slow Dance
Across a crowded ballroom
she sat at an empty table
her hands resting on her chin
watching the dancers on the floor.
The band was playing a slow tune
as I moved around to her
with my hand outstretched
I asked her for a dance.
Her eyes sparked at my words
and a smile crept across her face.
She held her hand out
and I escorted to the floor.
With wings on our heels
we danced the night away
and the band kept playing
all the slow tunes.
Stars fell across the floor
from the ballroom’s glass ball
as we looked into each other’s eyes
oblivious to one and all.
We danced and we danced
getting closer with each step
as the band kept playing
yet another slow tune.
Years have flown by
and we’re still together.
Each night we slip off our shoes
put a slow tune on
to play again and again.
We once again dance a slow dance
long passed the midnight hour
as we’ll dance for the rest of our lives.
4 February 2014
David Harris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Slow Dance by David Harris )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
Poem of the Day
- आज आंसू बहाओ - Suffering, yashovardhan kulkarni
- I loved you more than enough.., Rene Perera
- The victory of peace and truth., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Festival for unity(Republic -Day Celebra.., Aftab Alam
- Love Note 5, Michael P. McParland
- Attempts for peace., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- THE GREAT UNKNOWN - Determined the world, sEaN nOrTh
- A Small Rest 2, Michael P. McParland
- Corrective body for peace., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- आं थाबायो सिगांजोँ, Ronjoy Brahma