Chris G. Vaillancourt
A Smattering Of Applause
Sheltered dreams always seem to end.
They filter down like
drops of hopeless water
which fall from the sky
and melt upon hitting the ground.
Pleasant sands sparkle in the
brilliance of the sunshine.
Yet the heat of the ground
would burn as easily
as a furnace fire.
Necklaces are woven out of
Worn like penance
around the necks
of chanting monks
into the setting
of the play.
The actors were assembled, now they are gone.
The stage was full, now it stands quietly empty.
The audience has clapped its last applause.
Butterflies have lost the
will to fly and so they
flutter to their death
upon the burning sands.
The heat escapes attention
as the wings smoke
and than burst into tiny
The animals have been released from the zoo.
The doorkeeper has fled his enclosure in order
to surrender his vowels to the
strands of politically correct
I told you the play was over.
Now go home.
Chris G. Vaillancourt's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Smattering Of Applause by Chris G. Vaillancourt )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Nymphs And Shepherds, Thomas Shadwell
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- Honour my feelings!, Rekha Mandagere
- The End is Coming, michael hagwood
- A pencil on a painting, Ntando.B Da poet
- Distance, Alex Rodriguez
- Fierceless, Alex Rodriguez
- A Thousand More, Smoky Hoss
- i think i left my hand in yours. go look., Mandolyn ...
- Wild cold of novemeber, Alex Rodriguez
- Far Off, Sentamu Aziz
- Mill By The River, Stratis Havarti