When he is born, you beam with pride;
A son, my son, will stand by my side.
When he is born, the world will know;
That his father's wish is to see him grow.
When he is born, plans do you make;
Protect him to manhood, everything's at stake.
When he is born, through him you live;
Nothing forsaken, all you will give.
And as he grows the world is a dream;
Together you play and Dino's the theme.
And as he grows, sports take root;
A tiny athlete, there is no dispute.
And as he grows, the girls take note;
Pride swells in you, you begin to gloat.
And when he grows, sadness will spawn;
For your son, my son, will soon move on.
And fear that grows in you, you hope and pray;
That all that you taught him, will always stay.
John Hess's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Son by John Hess )
- Poet's mind, hasmukh amathalal
- Senses Flavorful Sounds, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Behind everything, SALINI NAIR
- Fall Leaves, Leonard Dabydeen
- Rinsed Clean, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Creating Photos, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- If I Should Die Some Tuesday..., Frank Avon
- Transformed womaniser, Kwalo Voro
- Gathering Broken Glasses By I.H.Rizvi, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Filling Self, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- 1861, Walt Whitman
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(17 June 1867 – 2 September 1922)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
((13 March 1941 – 9 August 2008)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)