A Sonnet On The Passing Of A Friend's Cat
How can a cat connect, yet stay adrift?
How can it share a look that says so much?
The 'Cat''s acceptance of 'Us' is a gift
endorsed by letting carers dare to touch,
To pet, to preen, to scratch and purrhaps(?) brush?
(Not knowing when a claw may come to view,
and interrupt our empathizing rush,
as not one other pet, could ever do.)
They show us only glimpses of respect
whenever they see fit, or they're just bored.
Their fixed visages brim with intellect
and smugly show they know, how they're adored.
So when they pass away. what fills the gap
of those who chose to laze upon our lap?
Dan Reynolds's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Sonnet On The Passing Of A Friend's Cat by Dan Reynolds )
- But we are one, gajanan mishra
- You are my sweet lovely heart, Mazid S Kazi , INDIA
- I am the time, Aftab Alam
- The one who is blessed by the God is su.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Angel, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Malaria, hasmukh amathalal
- The life we have lived, Goodenough Sakhile Dlamini
- At our will, hasmukh amathalal
- See the fishes, hasmukh amathalal
- Two Become One, Loide V Augustinus