A Strolling Man's Journal
A strolling man
decides to sit,
checks his time,
rests his hip.
I notice his age,
his hair white,
I notice his face,
his tired eyes.
He's watching the children,
an expression of envy,
he catches my eyes,
I swallow anxiety,
retrieve my breath,
he's invited me to sit,
As I approach,
he makes way,
I take my seat,
'thank you', I say.
He points to the children
'Their as fragile as me you know'
He laughs, 'at least one similarity.'
I listen to his stories,
he's been deprived,
he talks of ambitions,
regrets I find.
A pause of serenity, we rest our mouths,
watch the children,
their simplicities profound...
I glance back to my side,
a wrinkled smile,
'let me show you something,
let me give,
I have unfinished youth,
for you to live.'
'Take this journal,
my book of memory,
write of your ambitions,
your accomplishments and tragedies.'
'I've waited for such sincerity
and in a young man I have found it,
an adventurous soul I trust,
to fulfill my lifes crevices.'
'I will wait for you
in the place which we go,
I'll be sitting on the bench,
that we both know'...
...I am now
the old man who strolls,
with a journal completed,
stories to be told.
I remember the white haired man
and his favor,
I hope he remembers me,
and the bench we sat together.
Mathieu Hotte's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Strolling Man's Journal by Mathieu Hotte )
- Not good, gajanan mishra
- Trials And Tribulations, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Friends, you are here, gajanan mishra
- Thoughts of Unknowing Ness (Complex Poet.., Marieta Maglas
- A Carpet On The Ground, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Regrets, hannah wilbert
- Zones Of Pleasure, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Real friend, gajanan mishra
- Looking out his window, hannah wilbert
- Is Suicide The Answer?, louis rams
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)