A Summer Shower
I'm standing here watching the rain
Running down my window pane.
For days now, there's been no rain in sight,
But when it does, couldn't it rain at night?
Every single plant and every single flower
Is extremely grateful for this summer shower.
I see people, who have been caught unaware,
Wet through with lank, bedraggled hair.
They quicken their pace and dash away,
Hoping that this weather isn't set for the day.
I, to, am hoping that it won't hang around,
As later, I was hoping to pop into town.
On the cars, the windscreen wipers swish to and fro.
Their tyres splashing through the puddles as they go.
The sky is grey, but I see a small chink of blue,
So maybe hopefully this rain will be over soon?
Returning to my chores, I hope with all my heart,
That the day will improve despite a dodgy start!
I return to the window. Half an hour has gone by
And I'm thrilled to see the sun is finally in the sky!
The wetness on the ground begins to evaporate,
So I dash into town before it gets too late.
The prolonged shower seems to have passed
And it's turned into a glorious day at last!
Angela Wybrow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Summer Shower by Angela Wybrow )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Carolyn Ford Witt
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
Poem of the Day
- No More Yelling, Michael P. McParland
- No Greater Love, Michael P. McParland
- Nightlife, Michael P. McParland
- Never Ending, Michael P. McParland
- Needed Sleep, Michael P. McParland
- Needed, Michael P. McParland
- Need To Know, Michael P. McParland
- Need, Michael P. McParland
- Where Did I go wrong, Poetic Lilly Emery
- A Universal Gift, Sandra Feldman