A Thomas Moore Fan
He may seem outdated and he may be long dead
But I still love the songs of Thomas Moore she said
His old Parlour Ballads I love and enjoy
Such things of great beauty not born to die.
Moore's gentle words of beauty have such a soothing power
'The Song Of Fionnuala' I sing in the shower,
'The Meeting Of The Waters' the words in this song
To lovers of peace and beauty and Nature belong.
'Those Endearing Young Charms' a Thomas Moore gem
Humanity I feel is indebted to him
For the great gift of beauty that he did bequeath
Still sung and recited at parties when old friends do meet.
His songs and melodies to his greatness testify
'Let Erin Remember'and 'The Minstrel Boy'
Have not seemed to age they remain fresh and young
Moore grew old and died but his songs are still sung.
I'm quoting the words of the good woman Ann
One in her mid fifties a Thomas Moore fan
The gentle words of the poet have their own soothing power
And his songs every morning she sings in the shower.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Thomas Moore Fan by Francis Duggan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Did you read them?
- In A Sugared Quiet Lit By Multicoloured .., mary douglas
- Go on freely, gajanan mishra
- Mirror image, Mario,Lucien,Rene Odekerken
- Weaver Of Waves, Saiom Shriver
- THAT PALM-TREE, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Dune Fringed, Saiom Shriver
- Watery Arms, Saiom Shriver
- Wet With Words, George Egba
- From Chambered Shells, Saiom Shriver
- Blue Starred In The Blue Grass Spring Lu.., mary douglas