In my mind I hold a picture
Of how we used to be
For everything you needed
You could turn to me.
I still see that sweet faced baby
And the toddler full of joy
The charming little person
And the athletic growing boy.
Every phase I relished
Treasuring every day
All the while knowing
Someday you’d grow away.
I guess I wasn’t watching
Not holding up my end
Because I swear I never saw
When evil stole in on the wind.
I sensed something was different
I knew something was wrong
But tried to justify my part
“The Single Mother’s Song.”
When I finally woke up
Nowhere left to hide
I cried and swore, yelled and begged
But I was always on your side!
Through all the broken promises
The stealing and the lies,
Somehow I still could find my son
When I looked into your eyes.
The phone became my enemy
Each ring could bring my death
Because I feared the words I’d hear
I lived holding my breath.
The road has not been easy
But I’ve always lived in hope
Because I know you’re not the enemy
The monster’s name is DOPE.
This disease will never leave you
You’ll struggle One Day At A Time,
You won’t always be a junkie
But you WILL always be MINE.
By Sian Mein
Sian Mein's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Addiction Poem by Sian Mein )
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
Ono no Komachi
(c. 825—c. 900))
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- No Pyrrhic Badge This Be (God Bless The .., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Beauty On Earth, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Summers last leaf, Christopher Fulbirg
- Conundrums Consequence..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Filled With Anticipation, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Pollinating the battlefield, Christopher Fulbirg
- Enjoying Christmas, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Walking, Christopher Fulbirg
- Grasshopper, Christopher Fulbirg
- Sky, Christopher Fulbirg