Clare Grover Cotterill
So, I sit on my own and I contemplate how my life will be in one week...one year... in ten years, and I chuckle inwardly so the passersby don't notice-
I cannot possibly know what to expect, and have learnt that I cannot control the future.
The only way for me to be sure of anything is to embrace Today, and the trials, the joys, the ups and downs that it brings.
Each time the sun sets and I rest my eyes, my dreams parade and I relish in the ambiguity they possess-
Each time the darkness turns to light, I am faced with possibilities I have yet to encounter, people I have yet to meet, and difficulties I have yet to endure.
I used to fret about the unknown, and I forgot to appreciate what was right in front of me for fear of...
I don't know what.
But I am wiser and less stubborn, and no longer afraid to admit my failings.
I smile as often as I can
I love as openly as I dare
I worry less about the 'what if's '
I thank the stars for gleaming, even beyond a cloudy sky
For reminding me that I am but a mere speck in this awesome world.
I may be swept away, or blown around, but
I am real
I am solid
and I am significant
I will shine as brightly as my heart allows and be grateful for what I have rather than complain about what I don't.
I will be conscious of the special people I care for
and the love that my children shower upon me every day.
I will be happy to be me
and be proud of that.
Clare Grover Cotterill's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Affirmation by Clare Grover Cotterill )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1886 - 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Silent Noon, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Prayers To Lord Murugan, A. K. Ramanujan
Poem of the Day
- Escaping Home, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Enjoying Conversations, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- How Long A Breath of Moment Be...(r), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Communicating Through Talent, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Moments Of Refreshing Writing, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- God., Th@ We N0t, sEaN nOrTh
- only Dfence against a rhythm - Boi, sEaN nOrTh
- Snuggle 2, Michael P. McParland
- ROAD FROM PARIS 1970, Terry Collett
- '' O '', Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR