Clare Grover Cotterill
So, I sit on my own and I contemplate how my life will be in one week...one year... in ten years, and I chuckle inwardly so the passersby don't notice-
I cannot possibly know what to expect, and have learnt that I cannot control the future.
The only way for me to be sure of anything is to embrace Today, and the trials, the joys, the ups and downs that it brings.
Each time the sun sets and I rest my eyes, my dreams parade and I relish in the ambiguity they possess-
Each time the darkness turns to light, I am faced with possibilities I have yet to encounter, people I have yet to meet, and difficulties I have yet to endure.
I used to fret about the unknown, and I forgot to appreciate what was right in front of me for fear of...
I don't know what.
But I am wiser and less stubborn, and no longer afraid to admit my failings.
I smile as often as I can
I love as openly as I dare
I worry less about the 'what if's '
I thank the stars for gleaming, even beyond a cloudy sky
For reminding me that I am but a mere speck in this awesome world.
I may be swept away, or blown around, but
I am real
I am solid
and I am significant
I will shine as brightly as my heart allows and be grateful for what I have rather than complain about what I don't.
I will be conscious of the special people I care for
and the love that my children shower upon me every day.
I will be happy to be me
and be proud of that.
Clare Grover Cotterill's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Affirmation by Clare Grover Cotterill )
- Hero Needed, Barbara Dixion
- The Good Spirit, Sandra Feldman
- Don't Let It Be, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- LOVE IS A DELICATE THING, Marcus McKinley
- Beaming Bolts, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- It's only human, Priscilla Stalker
- October...come she will., Roxanne Dubarry
- Fly Away, Gerry Legister
- Good For Nothing (Fun Poem 161), David Harris
- I Went, Vera Sidhwa
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)