After the Year 2000
After the year two thousand, I will be still alive,
And so will other animals and worms.
There still will be vegetables and germs,
And mundane life as ever, rain or shine.
Not the earth to stop revolving will tend,
Neither the seas to dry, nor the air to condense;
Each day will be a new one, not the last hence;
And the world – humanity – will face no end.
Wars will continue to erupt here and there
As an ordeal to test Man’s thirst for Peace.
Poverty, ignorance, and diseases will not cease
For egoism, greed, and cruelty will not care.
But, anywhere on the globe, in any event,
There always will be conscience, common sense.
The elites still will vow the innocent’s defense,
For people to be safe, prosperous, and content.
We still will have much more progress to make
And many more stars to explore and win.
To prepare for the twenty-first century to begin,
We need self-reliance striving for our own sake.
Nhuan LeXuan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (After the Year 2000 by Nhuan LeXuan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Sine Curve, Hardik Vaidya
- Alone in the Winepress, Terrance Tracy
- I Am Human, Marites C. Cayetano
- Is Isolation, Rohit Sapra
- I wouldn't ask more, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Let It Be Fatal, Deanna Lee
- A Blue Christmas Tree, Heather Burns
- Mother, and mother, gajanan mishra
- Father To A Daughter, louis rams
- James Foley, Hardik Vaidya