They all still have beating hearts.
Blood pumps through their veins.
They're fixated in their own heads.
They're completely unaware
of the corpse, sitting right next to them.
My heart stopped beating years ago.
My blood stopped pumping.
My thoughts stopped racing. I know,
I died some time ago.
The world will still spin.
The friends will still talk.
Life will always go on.
But not for me.
For I've begun my afterlife.
my darling solely tethers me.
Brings me the elixir of revival.
Brings me back to life.
Mike Dolch's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Afterlife by Mike Dolch )
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- At Last She Comes, Robert Louis Stevenson
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)