They all still have beating hearts.
Blood pumps through their veins.
They're fixated in their own heads.
They're completely unaware
of the corpse, sitting right next to them.
My heart stopped beating years ago.
My blood stopped pumping.
My thoughts stopped racing. I know,
I died some time ago.
The world will still spin.
The friends will still talk.
Life will always go on.
But not for me.
For I've begun my afterlife.
my darling solely tethers me.
Brings me the elixir of revival.
Brings me back to life.
Mike Dolch's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Afterlife by Mike Dolch )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
Poem of the Day
- The Mirth of William, James Merchant
- -Untitled- (2), Morgan Siegel
- The Short Ballad of Egg Boy, James Merchant
- Logic in Life, Jayatissa Liyanage
- - Lady Andrea on the meadowland, Giorgio A. V.
- Lady Andrea on the meadowland, Giorgio A. V.
- Let Us Go for a Walk, Valsa George
- Legacy (2015), MILTON STYNER
- Glittering Textures, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Symbol Forests, Ananta Madhavan