Barry Van Allen
All Those Stars and More
The sky is not very far from there,
you can almost reach and touch it,
until that is experienced...
there is no way to explain it.
A New York City person,
cannot really grasp the facts,
of a mountain lake at night,
or how the overwhelming silence,
makes everything seem right.
But, how much can it mean?
The city boy needs noise,
without it, he stays awake all night,
he knows not how to act,
It is a new and strange experience,
no sirens, horns, or fumes,
- - - too much freedom,
- - - way too fast,
- - - just too damned much room!
The poor soul feels lost,
his bearings can't be found,
- - - no flashing lights,
- - - not even street signs,
- - - he is becoming all unwound!
That was in fact, the point,
to be anointed by the oils of life,
- - - to fill the holes within the soul,
- - - to know another way of being,
- - - another way of seeing
Be patient with that New York City boy,
and maybe he'll come back!
Manhattan isn't everything,
as they have led him to believe,
- - - Hell, it isn't even close!
- - - until now, I 'll bet he 's never seen,
more than 20 stars at once!
- - - O.K.! , 50 at the most!
The milky way is made of chocolate,
as far as he's concerned,
- - - with all the world in his sight,
he is as blind as he can be...
- - - his big grin in the country,
- - - tells me I am right!
Barry Van Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (All Those Stars and More by Barry Van Allen )
- Highway of Holiness, Terrance Tracy
- Hey Big Guy, My Kindred Soul, Noah Body
- COPLA 112 RESOLUTION: This Bad Guy World, T (no first name) Wignesan
- is happening the Is, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- What you will get, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The basic ideas Turned, Emmanuel George Cefai
- He feigned, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The echoes plained, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Still here Still here?, Emmanuel George Cefai
- I, the Poet-Seer, Emmanuel George Cefai
Poem of the Day
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)