James Walter Orr
Alone in my Garden
I stand in the last patch of sunlight
and I glean the last rays of the sun.
The scents of the flowers waft o'er me,
as though they and the sunrays are one.
I see the ghosts of old memories unfolding
in the shadows of each tree and bush,
and they touch me with nostalgic fingers
and my memories come back with a rush.
I see a face that can rival each flower;
Smell aromas to rival each scent.
I shiver with joy as she touches
where all the old memories are pent.
I remember the vows that she made me
in that time that they call long ago,
and I weep that a woman's so fickle;
and I wonder just where did she go?
She promised undying devotion;
She said at my feet she would kneel.
I just wanted her walking beside me,
and I wish she were walking here still.
She said forever was only one chapter;
that the future, forever, we'd own,
and I look at this garden around me,
wondering why I am standing alone.
James Walter Orr's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Alone in my Garden by James Walter Orr )
- A. A. Anzarannii As An Indian English Po.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- From My List of Annoyances, Jeff Gangwer
- When A Flower Glooms, Eshan Gupta
- A Wealth, Like Truth, Jeff Gangwer
- "If I believed in your heaven...&qu.., Jeff Gangwer
- Resignation, Jeff Gangwer
- PH: Nature: Canoeing the Mississippi #7, Brian Johnston
- Why Did You, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Lost Shores, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- "Be careful...", Jeff Gangwer
Poem of the Day
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)