Selective memory pardons, covers,
when one road taken diverges from another.
When fingertips are offered and arms swallowed,
then only carbon dating shows through layers erosion hollowed.
Yesterday's landmarks dissolve into today's watershed tears,
what self-respect survives to follow elective memory
altered, sacrificed upon the altar of inevitable mortality?
Second thought centuries stretch into aeons, misrecall short-sold years.
That which is cast down cannot be recast as who has passed
though seemingly clear at first, progressively fades, overcast
by haze, daze, phase phrase submitting too frequently to oubli.
Time flies yet zapped fly trapped in sapped ointment is found frozen for eternity.
Hollow-wallow tunnel vision discovers
deflected thoughts, who'd cause/effect recover,
subjective objects shift perspectives subtle
as choices chance discarded options scuttle.
Points' questions filed fall by the board's abrasive emery.
As set in amber, rose remains
lost trace of lost love's joys or pains.
Jonathan ROBIN's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Ambered Amnesia by Jonathan ROBIN )
- Performing A Musical, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Separation of the women who resemble sui.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- The Light The Night Sows, Walid Lounes Bouzerar
- Lasting Sorrow, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Heart condition, Ibrar Siddiqi
- A Poet's Echo, Nate Flying Owl
- did the clergy man create chaos when the.., Mandolyn ...
- Path Of No Resistance, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- If Love... The This Follow...., Luis Estable
- Can This Be My Mistake, Luis Estable
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)