Selective memory pardons, covers,
when one road taken diverges from another.
When fingertips are offered and arms swallowed,
then only carbon dating shows through layers erosion hollowed.
Yesterday's landmarks dissolve into today's watershed tears,
what self-respect survives to follow elective memory
altered, sacrificed upon the altar of inevitable mortality?
Second thought centuries stretch into aeons, misrecall short-sold years.
That which is cast down cannot be recast as who has passed
though seemingly clear at first, progressively fades, overcast
by haze, daze, phase phrase submitting too frequently to oubli.
Time flies yet zapped fly trapped in sapped ointment is found frozen for eternity.
Hollow-wallow tunnel vision discovers
deflected thoughts, who'd cause/effect recover,
subjective objects shift perspectives subtle
as choices chance discarded options scuttle.
Points' questions filed fall by the board's abrasive emery.
As set in amber, rose remains
lost trace of lost love's joys or pains.
Jonathan ROBIN's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Ambered Amnesia by Jonathan ROBIN )
- Yellow Lake, Kazuko Shiraishi
- IF only I were A Dove!, FOEVERAMI JOHNSON
- Gust, Kazuko Shiraishi
- Hunger, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- My Tokyo, Kazuko Shiraishi
- We fall....TO RISE, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- LOSS....MANY, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- Alchemies, Aleda Shirley
- LAST SONG, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- ETERNAL LOVE, Soumita Sarkar Ray
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(24 October 1923 – 20 December 1997)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)