! An angry poem about peace
This is an angry poem.
About those weasel phrases
which blow like paper in the street
helping us to
'The pee-yus pro-sayus' -
say it in the Irish voice
of obscurantist politicians
and we'll accept it as a term,
and believe that it needs hard work
and forward planning
and careful progress
and 'generous' concessions
and declarations of intention
and cautious examination
of opponents' motives
in the 'battle' for peace
and coming together
to establish differences...
is what is eternally there
when war and strife is absent.
I can't remember Christ
(was he Catholic or Protestant? I just can't remember...)
'Peace process be unto you'...
uh, when would that be? ...
or commanding the waves of the Sea of Galilee
'Engage in the peace process - be still'...
somehow it just doesn't seem to carry weight
as a blessing or a do-it-now...
'Go in process towards peace, my child...'
I wonder why that is.
Michael Shepherd's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (! An angry poem about peace by Michael Shepherd )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- Dear uncle, Mokhtari Houssam eddine
- Spirit of the Hearth, Lynn Anne Brown
- DANDELION, Lilly Emery
- The Moon In Her Eyes, Lilly Emery
- sometimes its difficoult to live in myself, cristobal Benjumea
- Beautiful Mistake, Noorjehan Khan
- A house divided, Doyen Lingua
- Just Be There, Ronell Warren Alman
- A COFFEE KETTLE FOR A CUP OF COFFEE غلاي.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Listen And Learn, Lilly Emery