An Apology for the Bottle Volcanic
Sometimes I dip my pen and find the bottle full of fire,
The salamanders flying forth I cannot but admire.
It's Etna, or Vesuvius, if those big things were small,
And then 'tis but itself again, and does not smoke at all.
And so my blood grows cold. I say, "The bottle held but ink,
And, if you thought it otherwise, the worser for your think."
And then, just as I throw my scribbled paper on the floor,
The bottle says, "Fe, fi, fo, fum," and steams and shouts some more.
O sad deceiving ink, as bad as liquor in its way—
All demons of a bottle size have pranced from you to-day,
And seized my pen for hobby-horse as witches ride a broom,
And left a trail of brimstone words and blots and gobs of gloom.
And yet when I am extra good and say my prayers at night,
And mind my ma, and do the chores, and speak to folks polite,
My bottle spreads a rainbow-mist, and from the vapor fine
Ten thousand troops from fairyland come riding in a line.
I've seen them on their chargers race around my study chair,
They opened wide the window and rode forth upon the air.
The army widened as it went, and into myriads grew,
O how the lances shimmered, how the silvery trumpets blew!
Vachel Lindsay's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Apology for the Bottle Volcanic by Vachel Lindsay )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Sheldon Allan Silverstein
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)
(1924 - 2000)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Character, William Wordsworth
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Jackals cleverness., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Gibberish, hafiz qasim
- Child Of Mine, Kyle Schlicher
- My Heart Is Heavy, Kyle Schlicher
- Beautiful Dusk, Shachi Kaul
- New year, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I Am Ready, Kyle Schlicher
- Sonnet: The God of Fairness, Justice and.., Dr John Celes
- Affection for, hasmukh amathalal
- Not a jungle., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..