An Invective Against Gold
OF all the Poisons that the fruitful Earth
E'er yet brought forth, or Monsters she gave Birth,
Nought to Mankind has e'er so fatal been,
As thou, accursed Gold, their Care and Sin.
Methinks I the Advent'rous Merchant see,
Ploughing the faithless Seas, in search of thee,
His dearest Wife and Children left behind,
(His real Wealth) while he, a Slave to th' Wind,
Sometimes becalm'd, the Shore with longing Eyes
Wishes to see, and what he wishes, Spies:
For a rude Tempest wakes him from his Dream,
And Strands his Bark by a more sad Extream.
Thus, hopless Wretch, is his whole Life-time spent,
And though thrice Wreck't, 's no Wiser than he went.
Again, I see, the Heavenly Fair despis'd,
A Hagg like Hell, with Gold, more highly priz'd;
Mens Faith betray'd, their Prince and Country Sold,
Their God deny'd, all for the Idol Gold.
Unhappy Wretch, who first found out the Oar,
What kind of Vengeance rests for thee in store?
If Nebats Son, that Israel led astray,
Meet a severe Reward at the last Day?
Some strange unheard-of Judgement thou wilt find,
Who thus hast caus'd to Sin all Humane Kind.
Anne Killigrew's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Invective Against Gold by Anne Killigrew )
- Internet Trolls, Is It Poetry
- Isolation, Arno Le Roux
- Gramps Is Still Nuts about Granny, Donal Mahoney
- A SCARE COMES BACK, Satish Verma
- End of harvest, Nassy Fesharaki
- IT IS NATURE OF ALL MOTHERS, alexander opicho
- सूर्य का अवतरण ढूँढते रह गए (Hindi), Rajnish Manga
- Young Man on a Bad Trip, Donal Mahoney
- The Golden Gate, Edward Kofi Louis
- Words - The Heart of Imagination?, Darlene Walsh
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)