Holding with shaking hands a letter from some
Official – high up he says in the Ministry,
I note that I am invited to Birmingham,
There pedagogues to address for a decent fee.
'We like to meet,' he goes on, 'men eminent
In the field of letters each year,' and that's well put,
Though I find his words not wholly relevant
To this red-eyed fellow whose mouth tastes rank as soot.
No doubt what he's thinking of is poetry
When 'Thomas Blackburn' he writes, and not the fuss
A life makes when it has no symmetry,
Though the term 'a poet' being mainly posthumous,
Since I'm no stiff, is inappropriate.
What I can confirm is the struggle that never lets up
Between the horses of Plato beneath my yoke,
One after Light, and for Hell not giving a rap,
The other only keen on infernal smoke.
And poems...? From time to time they commemorate
Some particularly dirty battle between these two;
I put the letter down – what's the right note?
'Dear Sir,' I type, 'how nice to speak to you!'
Submitted by Andrew Mayers
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Invitation by Thomas Blackburn )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
Poem of the Day
- Marching On, Edward Kofi Louis
- Rum, crumbs!, Edward Kofi Louis
- To Point It Out To You, Edward Kofi Louis
- elephant selfie, lee fones
- You Are Very Beautiful II, Edward Kofi Louis
- Winter and Christmas, Rimni chakravarty
- - Μουγγό σκυλί (Greek poem), Giorgio A. V.
- Say You Are One of Them, Aysha Ananse
- Astonished, Edward Kofi Louis
- I Love It So, Edward Kofi Louis