With pannikins all rusty,
And billy burnt and black,
And clothes all torn and dusty,
That scarcely hide his back;
With sun-cracked saddle-leather,
And knotted greenhide rein,
And face burnt brown with weather,
Our Andy’s home again!
His unkempt hair is faded
With sleeping in the wet,
He’s looking old and jaded;
But he is hearty yet.
With eyes sunk in their sockets—
But merry as of yore;
With big cheques in his pockets,
Our Andy’s home once more!
Old Uncle’s bright and cheerful;
He wears a smiling face;
And Aunty’s never tearful
Now Andy’s round the place.
Old Blucher barks for gladness;
He broke his rusty chain,
And leapt in joyous madness
When Andy came again.
With tales of flood and famine,
On distant northern tracks,
And shady yarns—‘baal gammon!’
Of dealings with the blacks,
From where the skies hang lazy
On many a northern plain,
From regions dim and hazy
Our Andy’s home again!
His toil is nearly over;
He’ll soon enjoy his gains.
Not long he’ll be a drover,
And cross the lonely plains.
We’ll happy be for ever
When he’ll no longer roam,
But by some deep, cool river
Will make us all a home.
Henry Lawson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Andy's Return by Henry Lawson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(15 April 1958)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- The Ghost Ship, Alicia Elsbeth Stallings
- From Within, Edward Kofi Louis
- Crestfallen, Phil Soar
- Hedonism, Edward Kofi Louis
- Afshan Ahmad and The Terrorists, Akhtar Jawad
- My lovely Muse from Venus, Yor Nella
- Egoism, Edward Kofi Louis
- Caroline, Wensislaus Mbirimi
- Silent Love, Phil Soar
- Dream (landless Zimbabweans), Wensislaus Mbirimi