Angel of death
Before he goes away,
Melts in the darkness of night,
She inches closer to him,
Before he fades out of sight.
First rays of sun,
Their lips meet,
And he disappears.
He roams the dark dwellings,
While she goes on with her day,
Collecting souls of dead,
She begs him but he never stays.
She thinks of him,
He thinks of her,
Their hearts beat,
For one another.
The night comes,
And with night comes he,
With all his promises of pleasure,
In all his beautiful glory.
Their fingers twine,
And black eyes meet green,
He tucks a stray golden lock,
She is the most beautiful
Creature he has ever seen.
Her fingers roam his flesh,
Firing his blood,
Offering him solace.
His obsidian eyes drink her splendor,
Her ruby lips, her porcelain skin,
Her fingers touch the feathers
Of his dark wings.
Again the morn approaches,
And she pleads him to stay,
With the final kiss and first rays,
He is flying far, far away.
He takes in the souls,
Leaves them in underworld,
Some call him death,
Again the shade engulfs the day,
And he flies towards his light,
No beauty awaits him,
And he, death has got chills of fright.
The darkness suffocates him,
Her broken body lies,
Her soul awaits him.
A single day,
All she ever wanted,
And he never could give her that,
The blood flows down his eyes,
As he flies towards the eternal dark.
Underworld consumes her soul,
She is one of many in fields of asphodel,
His heart breaks little by little,
As he sees her waiting day by day.
Now he never ventures in day,
The night holds no allure,
There are no souls to reap,
He is left with only shadows to collect…………………………
Lucifera Santez's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Angel of death by Lucifera Santez )
- Why Poet?, Sandra Feldman
- Man, Dilantha Gunawardana
- Kite, Dilantha Gunawardana
- A Middle-Aged First Kiss (2), Dilantha Gunawardana
- Misplaced Trust, Mr. Spock
- No Looking Back (A Follow-up Poem), Dr John Celes
- losing leaves, Leah Dodd
- Worthy, Galina Italyanskaya
- Often I Am Reminded, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- God Knows, Galina Italyanskaya
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)