Hugo von Hofmannsthal
Ariadne Auf Naxos
There is a land where all is pure,
And this land is called
The land of death.
Here nothing is pure.
All things suffer corruption.
But soon a herald will come.
Hermes is his name,
his winged wand rules all souls.
Like birds affrighted,
like withered leaves before him they fly.
O beautiful, peaceful god,
See, Ariadne waits.
Ah, from all pains and miseries
must my heart be purified;
then you will nod to me,
your steps will reach my cave,
on my eyes there falls a darkness,
on my heart you'll lay your hand.
In the regal festal garments
that my mother wove for me,
I will wrap my weary body,
and this cave will be my tomb.
But my soul in solemn silence
follows its new-made lord,
like a leaf by winds driven
downward falling, gladly following.
On my eyes there falls a darkness,
darkness too will fill my heart,
and within this cave my body
richly robed alone will lie.
It is you who will save me,
my captive soul freed of
this burden of being.
Lift it from me.
To you I will lose all myself
with you will Ariadne dwell.
Hugo von Hofmannsthal's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ariadne Auf Naxos by Hugo von Hofmannsthal )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 July 1875 – 22 February 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- what the black cat said to the misty flu.., cristobal Benjumea
- Cold, Mike Acker
- Silence is not peace, ramesh rai
- Honey its your last chance, cristobal Benjumea
- Related, gajanan mishra
- Best day, Diplove gautam
- Thankful For You KP, Michael P. McParland
- Ten Dozen Red Roses, Michael P. McParland
- Eyes of Genesis, Merton Lee
- Haiku Concert At Day Break, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes