Art Poetica (Quintus Horatius)
(To emerging poets) ...........
Did not hear about Quintus Horace?
Who descended the laws to Verse in grace.
On unity and harmony
On meter and versification
On invention, imitation and on the art of characterization,
Perfect were his laws as mathematical equations.
Though was rational in form and style
But honored all the 'Aesthetic considerations'.
In spirit he was purely a Roman
But ignited the passion for Art and sensations
As was fashioned in ancient Athens.
To attain brevity and avoid obscurity
To Him was the key for poet`s security,
Devised the rules for versification,
And forbade Mediocrity and blind imitation,
That could Spoil all the pure fancies and romantic pulsations.
If you want to be a man of Art and Letter,
Compose well or don't rhyme either
And if ignorant to a word 'decorum and meter`
Then respect Horace and absorb the classic literature.
Gulsher john's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Art Poetica (Quintus Horatius) by Gulsher john )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- you remain beneath the swing set, Mandolyn Davidson
- though foe, you friend me well, Mandolyn Davidson
- To Nuke the Mirror, Madrason writer
- Nothing Beats Love, Lilly Emery
- Resolution, Alex Adeoye
- The way of the champion, Alex Adeoye
- Judging A Woman, Randy McClave
- Water and Ink, Carly Hagerty
- feel IT in the hair,, george albot
- Battles above, and Battles below, Lilly Emery