Art Poetica (Quintus Horatius)
(To emerging poets) ...........
Did not hear about Quintus Horace?
Who descended the laws to Verse in grace:
On unity, invention and imitation,
and what is the art of characterization.
Though he was a rational in form and style
But honored all the 'Aesthetic considerations'.
In spirit he was purely a Roman, but he
ignited the passion: for Art and sensations.
To him, for POET's security;
he must attain brevity and avoid obscurity
and blind imitation, that would spoil
his fancies and romantic pulsations.
If you want to be a man of Art and Letter, then
Compose well or don't rhyme either;
And if you're ignorant to the words 'decorum and meter`
then respect Horace and absorb his classic versification.
gulsher JOHN's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Art Poetica (Quintus Horatius) by gulsher JOHN )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- A Dance Is A Poem Gesturted Through, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Salvage, appiah japheth
- Sitting In The Park, Paul Gerard Reed
- I wish for peace and not war pieces, Juwon Daniel
- Life is more than anything else, gajanan mishra
- DJ, The Making of A DJ, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Innocent heart, Bijay Kant Dubey
- I'll Be Here, Michael P. McParland
- Kitchen Charade, Nicole C Esbach
- &, Nicole C Esbach