Jimmy Santiago Baca
As Children Know
Elm branches radiate green heat,
blackbirds stiffly strut across fields.
Beneath bedroom wood floor, I feel earth—
bread in an oven that slowly swells,
simmering my Navajo blanket thread-crust
as white-feathered and corn-tasseled
Corn Dancers rise in a line, follow my calf,
vanish in a rumple and surface at my knee-cliff,
chanting. Wearing shagged buffalo headgear,
Buffalo Dancer chases Deer Woman across
Sleeping Leg mountain. Branches of wild rose
trees rattle seeds. Deer Woman fades into hills
of beige background. Red Bird
of my heart thrashes wildly after her.
What a stupid man I have been!
How good to let imagination go,
step over worrisome events,
those hacked logs
in the driveway.
Let decisions go!
Let them blow
like school children’s papers
against the fence,
rattling in the afternoon wind.
This Red Bird
of my heart thrashes within the tidy appearance
I offer the world,
topples what I erect, snares what I set free,
dashes what I’ve put together,
indulges in things left unfinished,
and my world is left, as children know,
left as toys after dark in the sandbox.
Jimmy Santiago Baca's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (As Children Know by Jimmy Santiago Baca )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
- changing the world, Frederick J.B. Moore II
- Worrdless Man xx xxx xx Original 12 .., Lee Mack
- Not seeing sweet Sweetie is impossible!, Nyota Yasulwe
- Rollikng Six xx xxx xx Original 11 1.., Lee Mack
- Beg the Question xx xxx xx Original 1.., Lee Mack
- गोखा मोन्दांथि, Ronjoy Brahma
- Mythic Implications Versus Contemporary .., Terence G. Craddock
- When Sin Could Never Be xx xxx xx Orir.., Lee Mack
- Tab Yaad Tumhari Aati Hai, Mithilesh Dixit
- Out Of The Light, Michael McParland