@ As I fall asleep
As I fall asleep, your eyes close on me,
As I breathe your abundance, your lips kiss on me.
To a dried stream of water, what embankments,
Whereas oceans of beauty flow through it.
Who holds the earth, on the tips of fingers,
Heavens befall, as past you step.
My eyes behold, like the Greek statue,
A curve is setting of the sun or rise of moon.
To the stars once, your glance of love,
From the dust I gathered “dusts of stars”
A flower has withered, alas autumn ahead,
The nightingale sung, to the cheek chiseled.
A shadow to the sun, and the sun’s lament,
Has anyone captured, aroma in the air.
To the knock on the door, as if tomorrow,
Has come. Years after, but a tomorrow are you.
From my hands, like a butterfly flew,
A haze of color, on my hands, to the face I raise.
Prayers be to you, for your houris in paradise,
To me, in the midst of the twilight, a tavern’s cup.
On the pulpit you sit, in the dark shroud, you proud,
From the earth I raise statuesque beauties of love.
The blood in veins still rushes like torrents,
What if, a feather and ink, from me thus snatched.
From the corner like in prison, my elegies of spring,
My lap is filled, dried leaves, flowers of memories.
So I am heard, I live in “now” then what,
Like showers of rain, lightening on my dreams.
Greek stone-art @ tumbir
Sadiqullah Khan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (@ As I fall asleep by Sadiqullah Khan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edward Kofi Louis
(13th October 1961)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Tiger, William Blake
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- "Why do I love" You, Sir?, Emily Dickinson
- A Moments Indulgence, Rabindranath Tagore
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- I Love Life, Alfred Oyori
- Silence, ashi singh
- Tales Of A Wife: Gillie, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- My Conscience Leads Me On, Tony Adah
- Just To Encourage You To Hold On, Edward Kofi Louis
- I Will Seek For You, Edward Kofi Louis
- Under The Apple Tree, Edward Kofi Louis
- Spiced Wine, Edward Kofi Louis
- Innocent Wishes, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Come And See II, Edward Kofi Louis