As Late I Sought the Spangled Bowers
As late I sought the spangled bowers,
To cull a wreath of matin flowers,
Where many an early rose was weeping,
I found the urchin Cupid sleeping.
I caught the boy, a goblet's tide
Was richly mantling by my side,
I caught him by his downy wing,
And whelm'd him in the racy spring.
Oh! then I drank the poison'd bowl,
And Love now nestles in my soul!
Yes, yes, my soul is Cupid's nest,
I feel him fluttering in my breast.
Anacreon's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (As Late I Sought the Spangled Bowers by Anacreon )
- Masibonisane, senzokhaya umhayi
- namhlanje usuku olukhulu, senzokhaya umhayi
- okuhle, senzokhaya umhayi
- babies and dogs, oskar hansen
- God Could be Never Wrong, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- Khalani zinyoni vele nizolibusa, senzokhaya umhayi
- Fever power, hasmukh amathalal
- Inside a tomb, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Sithandwa sami sokuqala, senzokhaya umhayi
- Ngimbonile ufikile uhambile, senzokhaya umhayi