As The River Flows Along
The field was dotted with them,
Hay bales stacked high on high
With field mice and shrews making hay
Running and playing between the bales
And red kites circling overhead, waiting.
The June sun shone down casting shadows.
A large oak tree accommodating all life,
Grubs and worms weaved between its roots
Ants, spiders and beetles made super
High roads along its trunk and branches.
Birds sang their song high on the bough
And squirrels passed each other along its trunk.
Willow trees lined the banks of the river
Separating fields either side of it.
The field across the river saw rabbits
Playing in the sun between rows of
Corn, leaping and dancing without worry.
Bulrushes and toad rush lined the edge
Of the river where coots, with their shiny
Black bodies and white foreheads
Swam with Mallard ducks and their young.
The water sparkling in the sunlight
As the river flows along towards the sea.
Farm workers returning after lunch with
A tractor and trailer start loading bales of hay
Laughing and joking as they worked.
Smoke from a cigarette wafted in the breeze
And noise from the tractor floated high in the air.
Nature in all its beauty filled the air, the fields
And river as life passed slowly by as it had done
For hundreds of years when men used Shire
Horses and four wheeled carts and mice and
Shrews played in the sun between hay stacks.
The beauty of the countryside forever unchanging.
David Wood's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (As The River Flows Along by David Wood )
- When my love states that she is futile..., Saheb Mohapatra
- Sink and feel, SALINI NAIR
- Birthday Years, Greta Bellamacina
- When Hope Becomes A Prayer, Savita Tyagi
- So the Ancients say...., Savita Tyagi
- Thank and wish, hasmukh amathalal
- Goodbye The Day, Pijush Biswas
- ~Oneness ~, Aftab Alam
- Random Thought lX, Savita Tyagi
- The Little Robin Flew, Rohan Nath
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- America the Beautiful, Katharine Lee Bates
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)