At The Races
Like a piloted star fighter she flew from the east,
A sight to behold like hunger to a festive feast.
As if the word speed was meant only for her legs,
And from her first win, the goose laid her golden eggs.
Greed or dreams to replenish my emptied pockets,
My last bet, my hopes I pinned on two bought tickets.
She raced like the swiftest wind and came in first,
My wallet fainted and my ego was ready to burst.
Odds were ten thousand to one by bookies on her win,
I followed blindly the crowds with cheers and many a grin.
For the first time in a decade predictions and result did line up,
And with luck on my side, I raised my champagne plastic cup.
Lesson not learned and one day I would deeply regret,
On how not to listen to common rumours while placing a bet.
Beginners luck folly would always temp my last earned buck,
One day with disappointment I'll be disproportionately stuck.
Today; however, I celebrate with fanfare my newfound joy,
And I splurge openly unlike a politician's two-faced ploy.
Copyright Leaking Pen 2013
Rev Nov 3 2014
Leaking Pen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (At The Races by Leaking Pen )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 July 1875 – 22 February 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- Non Sequitur with Sirius, Paul Hartal
- Suiyang, My Hometown, Luo Zhihai
- Correction Room, Akhtar Jawad
- Use of victory, gajanan mishra
- Goodnight Darling One, Michael P. McParland
- what the black cat said to the misty flu.., cristobal Benjumea
- Cold, Mike Acker
- Silence is not peace, ramesh rai
- Honey its your last chance, cristobal Benjumea
- Related, gajanan mishra