John F. McCullagh
Each day I drive the Belt to work
with a million other slobs.
We pilot cars a decade old.
We're lucky, we have jobs.
Being stuck in traffic is no fun
so my eyes search for distraction.
Your bumper- stickered Civic
offers motorists didaction.
You've no shortage of opinions,
you're a child of hope and change.
gay women for abortion rights?
forgive me, that seems strange.
You're all for education,
and it seems you're down on God
Your promotion of vasectomy
strikes me as rather odd.
We creep along at walking speed
in the misnamed morning rush
I smile at one old sign that reads:
'Lesbians against Bush'
I change lanes and creep up beside
this most amusing creature.
Shock and awe is what I felt-
She is our children's teacher!
John F. McCullagh's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Autodidact by John F. McCullagh )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Mark Strand
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Be Kind, Charles Bukowski
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Lament Before The Eve, lingering stupor
- Sons of the nature, gajanan mishra
- The Death of Poetry, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Christmas Scene, Salim R Javed
- Girls are not a burden.A sweet conversat.., Salim R Javed
- Night, Leong Ming Loong
- The Tired Smile, Leong Ming Loong
- Blood and Gore, Leong Ming Loong
- Expressly For A Friend..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Welcome Love, Sari Mavi